Balancing the Technical with the Artistic...

Subject: Balancing the Technical with the Artistic...
From: "Kent Sparling" <>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 02:59:13 -0000
Greetings fellow nature recordists!

I'm fairly new to the group, though I know several of you from the Nature
Sounds Society,
and the SF Bay Area film and music communities.

I'd like to float a creative/aesthetic question to the group, to balance the
ongoing technical
discussions:

I need to supply the ambiences for a film set in the American southwest - Utah,
Arizona,
New Mexico - in the parlance of film sound, nothing says "desert" like cicadas
- it's a
Hollywood cliche - but in my limited visits to the deserts of southern
California, the actual
acoustic impression that hit me was near-total silence - not a viable option
for a feature
film, since it would most likely read as a mistake, or omission (or simply lazy
sound
work!).

My question to the group mind is:  what interesting, non-cicada nature sounds
evoke the
American southwest deserts for you?

Thanks for being a knowledgable and vibrant group - it's a pleasure to read
your posts!

Cheers,
Kent Sparling
Berkeley, CA