Re: wl-183 mounts

Subject: Re: wl-183 mounts
From: "tmerk1997" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:44:00 -0000
Hi,

Nice recording -- I love how the frogs start up and then, one-by-one,
quit calling at the end.

I tried this approach a couple of years ago, too, but got
muffled-sounding results.

The difference was:

1.  I put 2 screens back-to-back (so that it made a mesh sphere; the
mic cables ran through a hole I cut in one of them).  The screens had
a 4.75" diameter but only a 2.125" radius to the mesh (i.e., "depth"
of the screen).

2.  I put *both* of my AT853 mics inside in an XY configuration

I wrapped the whole thing with fake fur and ran a few tests, but it
didn't sound right (missing high frequencies, if I recall).  I haven't
tried to analyze or fix it.

- Tom