Re: Mystery sound posted

Subject: Re: Mystery sound posted
From: "M, J, & V Phinney" <>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 19:37:09 -0700
A nice, clear recording. I wouldn't dismiss ravens - I've heard a lot of
strange noises come from them, and have heard two-tone noises that have a
similar popping sound. I have not, however, heard anything quite so
high-pitched at the beginning of the calls. As well, the calls always seem
to be relatively quiet compared to other raven noises. The mic must have
been very nearby if it was a raven.

Gray Jay & Blue Jay are other candidates, but I've never heard either do th=
'popping' noise.

So in summary, I guess I really have no idea!

Mark Phinney