Re: Ethical questions re: Bird feeders + rant

Subject: Re: Ethical questions re: Bird feeders + rant
From: Dan Seven <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:21:05 -0600
Hello All:

I seldom post here as I usually follow along reading the excellent material
and talented perspectives found here.

    The ethical questions regarding bird feeders perhaps I have a
contribution about. IMHO we as a species have and continue to strip this
planet of natural abundance. I live next to a Govt owned protected area and
the only natural lake for at least 60 miles. This Fall I witness as I do
every Fall, droves of people picking berries in and around the Park. This
has a real impact on Wintering Birds that in some small part may be remedie=
by supplemental feeding.

    My experience is that it supports non migrants more than creating an
"artificial" environment for Birds that would otherwise move on. Please kee=
in mind I am in Central Canada. Many, many of your Wintering Songbirds were
born up here, but that is changing fast...

    Yes, i have helped to create a haven for feral cats. 7 were trapped her=
last Fall. They are responsible for decimating varying hare and chipmunk an=
ruffed grouse and more in this area, once rich with life. But they are not
nearly as damaging as us. We have bulldozed the area around the Park, and i=
the Park in such a huge way many of the species seen here are no longer to
return. Where we are, life itself thins out to tolerate our abuse. There's
not much place left to go...

For many of us, the most important recording are not those 24bit 192's on a
744T with 4 channels lit with no noise or clipping, but those made with
whatever is available at hand to hear the last bird words uttered from a
vanished species. This while we worry if we have captured it with the
"right" gear that Cornell condemns as being a "lossy" format.

Feed the birds, Record the Birds...they'll all disappear before we decide
what the best technology is to "save" their dying words.

Dan Neves..

HHB Portadisc  Senn 815T
Capturing sounds with magneto-optical technology for mass playback
with.....magneto-optical technology.