Re: wind protection revisited

Subject: Re: wind protection revisited
From: Curt Olson <>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 06:40:28 -0600
Ken,

I've found the familiar blue fiberglass furnace filter material to be
pretty good for this. Furnace filters are not all created equal even
though they might look almost identical, so a little shopping around
might be needed. With a couple layers of this material inside the
screen mesh and a tube sock around the outside, I'm usually good up to
about 7-8 mph. Above that, I slip a stocking cap over the rig. At the
point where that's no longer effective, I usually find ambient noise
from the gale is enough to make recording almost meaningless anyway.

You're right about high-end attenuation. I haven't made any detailed
measurements, but in my own listening tests I find this fiberglass
furnace filter material to be very transparent. It's prickly to work
with, however.

Curt Olson