introducing another wannabe recordist

Subject: introducing another wannabe recordist
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:02:06 EST
I guess it's time to de-lurk and mention that I joined this list some time
ago; my interest in doing so stems simply from a desire to "bring  home" sounds
from area nature preserves (particularly New Jersey's pine  barrens and its
nocturnal wetland percussions) -- these trips send me.   Previously having been
totally ignorant of "how to best" record these sounds,  or, to be honest,
"where to even being," this list has  been helpful.  Through the list, and
through the recommendations  of people more in the know, I'm getting close to
making
my initial  investment.  Before I do, however, I figured I'd give a  shout.

A friend of mine, a studio sound engineer/radio-show producer has
recommended M-Audio's Microtrack 24/96; he's also reviewed this recording
device, link
below:

_http://www.transom.org/tools/recording_interviewing/200512.maudio_microtrack.
html_
(http://www.transom.org/tools/recording_interviewing/200512.maudio_microtrack.html)

I don't recall reading any list submissions concerning the Microtrack, but
if anybody has any positive or negative comments I'd certainly appreciate the
feedback.  There have been some "starter" microphones recommended here of
late -- being a total novice to the equipment, I plan on looking into these and

making sure the mic/recorder are compatible (I assume most are?), etc.   What
would be other "must haves" a recordist should have on hand when first
setting out? If there have been previous postings regarding this, maybe a
simple
point in the proper archival direction would suffice.  I'm not sure
over-investing at the start is what I wish to do -- before spending too much  I
feel its
best to assure what I bring home and play through an audio  system will match
the magic I feel while "be-swamped."  Then again, not  having the proper
equipment might stop me in my tracks at the outset and spoil  what might have
become a fulfilling hobby.

Are there any books/publications recommended for nature-recording
info/referencing?

Thanks for your patience in dealing with my 101-type inquiries.  Happy
holidays to all.

Bill Beck
Bridgeton, NJ