Panning: was: should we change the name of this group to geartalk

Subject: Panning: was: should we change the name of this group to geartalk
From: "Ken Durling" <>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:49:35 -0000
Just to state the obvious, the discuissions about gear are invaluable
to people who are new to the field (pun intended)like myself.  There's
a lot of anxiety around laying out large amounts of money for such a
specialized application, and this group not only gives good steers
toward what's worth it, but also supplies lower cost alternatives in
the course of these disussions. Like most groups there's probably a
siginificant percentage of neophytes, some more transient than others.

I very much agree that other areas are of equal interest.  For example
under the heading of "recording techniques," I've been thinking a lot
about the fact that our ears are very rarely stationary the way mics
often are, and that the sonic experiences that inspire me to want to
record them are complex ones, ones in which I'm constantly changing my
location and position of my head to try to get a better read on a
sound and/or to match it to a visual.  Or like my Snow Geese, the
sheer amount of motion involved is a difficult thing to capture.  Do
people "pan" microphones like cameras?  I imagine it could lead to a
confusing stereo image, but perhaps there are effective techniques.

Ken