Re: Iowa nature recordists

Subject: Re: Iowa nature recordists
From: "Tony Greif" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:47:37 -0000
 Ok, that makes sense. My long range recordings will be birds on open
bodies of water...say 100+ yards. On average though, I think most of
my recordings will be non directional recordings of things like
thunderstorms, waves, or if I am sitting in the middle of the woods
and want to record everything from the birds to the animals at the
same time (omni directional?). I have found a couple recorders I
want, but as far as a mic. is concerned I dont know if I should get 2
that use the same power cap. or one and use a parobolic for the long
range sounds. I have had a couple members tell me I should go with a
parobolic, and it makes alot of sense (even to me), so I think I will
go that route. I know from experience that parobolics are great, but
it was a little setup I had bought from a sporting goods store for
locating turkeys.

 As far as the recorders go, the 2 I am looking at use 1gb CF cards.
I already have 1gb CF cards for my photography, I like the fact that
I can put them directly into my computer, they are small and
light...wich is nice when it comes to my little kayak, and I wont
need to keep buying new media, the prices are good too. Im not going
to get ahead of myself though, I plan on doing my home work and
listening to the tips and advice from the members here. I just bought
a Pentax PF 80ED spotting scope last night and I think my wife wants
to kill me, but she said I cant spend money like that again until we
get our taxes back (Im grounded):) so I think I have plenty of time
for "homework", hahaha.
 I hope I worded this ok, I dont know all the correct terms for the
equipment or use of the equipment yet. This is something I really
want to do, so I am more than willing to accept tips, and advice from
anyone willing to help me. I will try to learn all the terms for
things so I dont confuse anyone with my posts. :) Is this post ok? I
know its a little long...sorry.

Thanks everyone, I am glad I dont have to do this alone...I would be
so lost I would need my GPS to get away from my computer!

Tony Greif.