Re: Sennheiser K6/ME66 --> MT2496 vs PMD671 vs SD 722

Subject: Re: Sennheiser K6/ME66 --> MT2496 vs PMD671 vs SD 722
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 19:02:06 +0100
Rob, it seems as we are now doing exactly the kind of tests that I have
looked for under the last 20 years, after the HQ electrets came.

I think ME66 is around the 16 db(A) self-noise level and with an output of=

50 mV/Pa. According to Raimund's tests, it's internal self noise drowns the=

input noise of all three recorders!

I know of people who have bought really expensive recorders like the 722
ONLY to get rid of this noise.... And it would be SO great if we finally
could kill all this massive talk about the need for a mic.pre for
naturesound recordists.

What about 50mV/Pa and 10 dB(A) - as you suggest?? Would we hear a
difference? Possible. Or must we go down to 5 dB(A)?? At which output level=
??

And how the f...  can one calculate the same, using those "sensitivity"
data which are used both for mic's and recorders?? It must be possible, but=

I haven't seen it yet.

(For the music and on-location people it's another story. They also need
headroom and good distortion  figures, which changes everything.)

Klas.

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
Phone & fax int + 295 310 01