Re: NT1A/PB224/MZ-NH1 test

Subject: Re: NT1A/PB224/MZ-NH1 test
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:10:22 -0600
At 5:04 PM -0800 11/22/05, Debbi B wrote:
>Upon attempting my first use of this combination, I was surprised at
>the amount of handling noise I got, compared to what I get with just
>a Sony MS957 in the NH1. And it's different--with the MS957, it
>sounds like handling. With the NT-1A, it sounds like loud clipped
>static electricity, and happened when I thought nothing was moving.
>I had the NT-1A in its shockmount propped on top of the car, with the
>rest on the reat seat.
>
>The test below was in my back yard (highway about a mile away), with
>everything on the ground. Half way through I purposely picked up the
>mic, somewhat carefully. I wasn't able to upload this to the Groups
>file area for some reason.
>
>I don't see any voltage switches on the PB224 despite the manual
>making reference to it.

I had that manual on file too. Its an older one for the PB224. The
newer one is http://www.rolls.com/data/pb224man.pdf

The PB223 is dual voltage. The PCB board inside of my 224 has
"PB223/224" inscribed on it so there might be quitre a few things in
common, but all pb224's I've seen are 48 volts only. The 224 runs on
2 x 9volt batteries while the pb223 needs 14-18 from a wall wart or
battery pack. I operate the pb224 on 2- 9 volts batteries for my
tests, though I run it on a 12 volt pack for long recording periods.
.

>  I have this cable between the NT-1A and
>PB224, Pro Co XLR5         http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XLR5/ and
>Hosa YXF-247  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YXF247/  from
>the PB224 to the NH1. One of the XLR ends is not attached to
>anything, for now.
>
>http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/dgbrusco/lst?.dir=/Sounds&.view=l
>
>Does this sound like the usual handling noise from this type of mic?

Yes. It sounds typical for wind and physical impact both of which can
be significantly reduced. The Rode supplied shock mount is too stiff
when vibrations of any origin are present. The slightest breeze will
cause the diaphragm to deform so wind protection with a zeppelin (as
for most condenser mics I've used) is mandatory outside. Allan
Haighton removed the cloth covered rubber cords in the Rode mounts
and replaced them with rubber bands and says performance is much
improved. I use DIY units made from 4" diameter thinwall PVC with
rubber bands and fake gorilla fur.

There seems to be some Hi Hz line sizzle in the noise (center, common
to both channels) which could stem from the open input leg of the
cable. Try connecting the floating (Hosa) xlr  connector to the other
output of the Rolls and see if the noise goes away or is altered.
Rob D.

  = = = =

--
Rob Danielson