Re: Code of Ethics? Do we Have the Facts?

Subject: Re: Code of Ethics? Do we Have the Facts?
From: "Mike" <>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 05:18:34 -0000
--- In  Scott Connop <> wrote:
"If one looks at
> human nature, what does this say? It is clear that, in some cases, we
> are having had to deal with professional jealousy of a sort. Birders
> that do not use sound see the huge advantage that birders using it have.=

> If you spent two days looking for something that I saw in 5 minutes
> time, how would you feel? Why else would we single out playback so
> quickly on so little data and yet still have not properly addressed all
> of the intrusive effects of other types of birding on our feathered
> friends? Because, as humans, we are always trying to create a level
> playing field and it is always easier to bring one down to one's own
> level than adapt and rise to a new one. Human nature!"

Well said and it will probably ruffle some feathers (no pun intended).  I a=
lso see this
jealousy in other areas and as you say it is human nature.  Take the photog=
rapher that
spends two months in the wild trying to get a photo of a snow leopard and m=
aybe comes
away with two marketable shots.  He becomes upset with the photog with time=
 and budget
constraints that goes to a game farm and has a snow leopard posed in wild s=
ettings and
gets hundreds of images in an hour or so.  The demand is that captions must=
 be applied
to seperate his wild photos from the ones that are taken of captive animals=
.  Why ?  If the
purpose of the photo is to have the viewer make an emotional connection wha=
t difference
does it make.  The captive leopard can invoke the same emotion in both case=
s but it is the
photographer behind the lens that demands the playing field be leveled .. n=
ot the viewer.

Photographers wanting to sell their work are often reminded to concentrate =
on the image
when evaluating images to submit to editors .. not how many obstacles you h=
ad to
overcome to get an image.  The viewer does not know , or usually care, what=
 you did to
get the shot ... only with the results.=20

I feel the majority of people operate within their own code of ethics but i=
t doesn't hurt to
establish some guidelines knowing that no matter what is settled on there w=
ill always be
somebody that feels it is either too restrictive and some will feel it is n=
ot restricitive
enough.