scientists using playback

Subject: scientists using playback
From: Paul Coopmans <>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:39:21
At 13:59 26-10-05 -0700, you wrote:

>Actually, I will reply onlist and then leave politely:
>
>Well, you are really pretty correct - I think those who play bird
>recordings to lure and mislead the birds are akin to the Japanese
>scientists who hooked a squid, took photos for five hours until it
>ripped its arm off to escape, probably fatally injuring it. To get
>pictures!
>
>I'm going to drop off the list as I am not a birder, but a recording
>engineer, and the cruelty and thoughtless ness of alll these so-called
>objective observers is quite disturbing to me. Nature is sacred to me,
>not a goal to mark on a list.

Lou,

Don't you care about conservation then, and the knowledge that playback and
subsequent identification of unknown sounds has given us about Neotropical
birds, including some threatened species?

Would you rather see South American forests being chopped down rather than
being protected and eco-tourism bringing in the cash? Many of these
eco-tourists are birders who want to add birds to their lists. I agree a
good number of them are more interested in their bird list than in
conservation, but their visits still give the local people a more
nature-friendly economic alternative rathern than chopping down the forests
if there were no visiting birders. Just think of the Mindo area in Ecuador.

Best regards, Paul