Re: M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96 manual now online

Subject: Re: M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96 manual now online
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 23:32:18 -0500
At 2:37 AM +0000 9/9/05, oryoki2000 wrote:
>The User Guide for the M-Audio Microtrack 24/96
>is now online at
>http://tinyurl.com/b645c
>
>This much-anticipated Compactflash recorder will
>be shipping to dealers in the next week or two.
>Typical retail price is $400 USD, but a few USA
>dealers are advertising $350.
>
>The MicroTrack has the potential to replace
>Sony Hi-MD, Edirol-R1 and Marantz PMD660 as the
>best choice for a small, relatively affordable
>field recorder. We should know shortly if this
>new machine performs as great as it looks.

Think of how instructive it would be to run two NT1A's (for low noise
reference) direct to the Microtrack's and the 660's phantom supplied
mic inputs and then compare these to the R-1's and HiMD's 1/8" inputs
through a Rolls. Based on the HiMD pre tests, we know that affordable
low noise is possible, so why not the Microtrack too!  Not requiring
a separate phantom unit saves bulk (and $70) and being able to record
at 24 bits might offset some of the ~20dB gain difference with HiMD.
My fingers are crossed as well. We'll wait for the tests to start
rolling in. Rob D.