Re: 10000 mAh NiMH Battery Pack (was M100..

Subject: Re: 10000 mAh NiMH Battery Pack (was M100..
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:41:37 -0500
At 7:30 PM +1000 9/5/05, Bill Rankin wrote:
>  >The guy who makes these, Leonard is a genius, he is a young 60 years of
>age,
>>he makes the mics himself and does his own web design.
>>He also made me a D-cell pack for my sound device 722, I now get 35 hours
>>with constant recording
>

>Martyn
>
>Can you describe the details of the  D-cell pack ? I would be interested i=
>making up something similar for my 722.
>

>Bill Rankin
>Australian Wildlife Sound Recording Group

Cost me $180 for this very nice 12 volt battery pack with charger and
some soldering.

1) $50 package of 8 very high capacity (10,000 mAh) D size NiMH,
rechargeable. I've been using them over a year with the 722 and 744.
Basically, I have never run one down as I rarely record for over 24
hours straight
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=3DVIEWPROD&ProdID=3D711

2) You can mount the D cells in 3 of the 4-slot plastic battery sleds
from Radio Shack or on line surplus electronics supplier and strap
them together with good tape and slip them in the cardboard box the
batteries came in. To connect with the 722/744, you'll need  a 4 pin
Hirose Connector: #HR10-7P-4P digikey #HR100-ND "Insert the part #
here:
http://www.digikey.com/

Soldering is Pin  1 =3D negative ; Pin 4 =3D + (10-18 volts; I'm running
12 volts with above pack)
(I used  high quality, mic cable that's 1/8' round diameter

3) High Capacity NiMHBattery packs are tricky to charge. I've played
with three designs and after having so-so to no success, I spent $95
on a MH-C777Plus-II charger.
http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=3D185  Best $95
I ever spent. It can charge anything be it nicad, nimh, or lion very
quickly and reliably. Even recondonditions old battery _packs_. (That
got me my $95 back in itself).  It takes about 8  hours to charge on
the the 10000mAH  pack.  Extra packs with connector are only $75 to
build..

Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson