Re: Pre-amps

Subject: Re: Pre-amps
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 03:03:13 -0500
At 5:17 PM +1000 8/18/05, Stuart Fairbairn wrote:
>Lurking down under I read with interest the discussion about
>pre-amps. I wonder if it would be worthwhile the Group putting
>together a reasoned request for a minimum standard of performance.
>From the discussion it seems the cost might be quite small to use
>different components for a better result. I realise that established
>models of recorders are not likely to be upgraded but there is hope
>for the future. The group represents a significant cross section of
>recordists in quite a few countries, If the group decides to produce
>a specification, it should be sent to all the manufacturers whose
>equipment has been discussed. It may have no effect but we'll never
>know if we don't try it.
>
>Stuart Fairbairn. New South Wales, Australia.

Likely the low and mid price manufs would make some corrections if we
hollered more in an organized, informed ways . (High price makers do
it already).  I'm pretty sure from several discussions I had with a
Sony VP that they were hearing field recordists' whines about the non
compression usb transfer fiasco they almost committed.  Sony just
came out with a more pro line of mac compatible  HiMD's (still cheap,
thank you!). These are indicators.  The news lists like nature
recordists create means for us to share opinions, but, as you
suggest, we'd have to argue facts. Its like we need to pool some
resources to create the ability to write and substantiate truthful,
independent reviews on the web (not dependent on advertisements form
manufs like the magazines). We'd have to decide on the basic features
needed for the 3-5? types of recording done and that would take a
little more consensus then we have. Anything like "standardization"
brings out some healthy revolt in people.   Rob D.