Re: PB224->Art PhanII->HiMD Test

Subject: Re: PB224->Art PhanII->HiMD Test
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:03:34 -0500
I received an Art Phantom II unit and added it to the test. Looks as
though there are two inexpensive portable phantom power supplies ($45
and $70) that work (at least) with NT1-A's to achieve extremely low
noise performance using the standard mic input of a Sony NH-900 HiMD
recorder. The QuickTime movie also shows what one of these portable
phantom units can do for the Rode NT-4.

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/PortPhantomHiMDReprtv01SorIMA.mov
4.7mb quicktime movie

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/Rolls_Art_Phantom_HiMD.mp3
mp3 only with three  below egments (short break in between)

1) NT1A-s -> 722 (phantom powered from the 722)
2) NT1A's->Rolls PB-224 -> Sony HiMD Mic input gain at "24"
3) NT1A's-> Art Phantom II-> Sony HiMD Mic input gain at "24"

[Tech Note: The Art unit is smaller, handles 12 volt and 28 volt
mics, but it's battery slot is a screw type-- not "easy" to change
batteries at all. The Rolls supplies only 48 volts, has much quicker
battery changing and it comes with an AC wall wart. You also need a
2-XLR (female) ->1/8' stereo mini plug adapter cable which a number
of places like Markertek sell if you'd rather not solder one up from
scratch.]

The addition of the Art Phantom II strengthens suspicions that many
phantom-powerable mics that folks are currently using with consumer
MD/DAT mic inputs could significantly benefit. They're are also about
a dozen ~$100 ea. condenser mics out there with respectable noise and
sensitivity  (maybe less than 20dBA self noise and more the 10mv/PA
sensitivity?) that might be fun to test. If you have a pair of such
mics you want me to test, contact me off list. Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D