Interface Specs

Subject: Interface Specs
From: Scott Connop <>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:55:21 -0400
Could someone out there give a quick rundown on the most important
aspects of choosing an AD interface to protect the integrity of one's
analog recordings during digital conversion? Why are sound card AD
conversions so inferior?

A quick (or not-so-quick) note on the flap over Walter Knapp. I spend
most of my time reading posts - the tech level of the contributions here
tells me that a number of the active contributors here are into the
subject far more than I am. Everything that is posted here is of
interest, regardless of the author. I just happen to read Walt's stuff
with the predisposed knowledge of having read him for about 4 years. I
know I am getting a very experienced opinion when I read his stuff. But
I still read all the rest. There are certain subjects that are close to
me. When I read posts about the extremity of folks' opinions against
playback or the MacAuley Lab, for example, I cringe somewhat, too. But
everyone is coming from their own direction and I already said my piece
a couple of years ago. The list is quite diverse now, compared to when I
first subscribed. Every now and then personalities and opinions creep
in, even politics. That's the nature of people. Walt's comments about
the environmental movement in the States (I'm Canadian) is interesting
to me even if it has little to do with recording per se. Personal
evaluations of other's comments are inevitable since the origin of the
comments is in the public domain of the list to begin with. One has to
balance having a thick skin with the propriety of what one says about
someone else in front of the group. In other words, contributors have a
responsibility to watch their own words. But if you stick your neck out,
well.... you will invite comment, even when you know your analysis is
correct. If I am beginner, I want to know what works the best. If I
can't afford it, or don't have that level of commitment yet, then I want
to know alternatives. If a piece of equipment is a waste that I will
regret later because of inferior quality, then I want to know that up
front. I learn something from everyone. So, please, everyone keep
contributing.