Re: The Rode NT1A

Subject: Re: The Rode NT1A
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:55:41 -0500
At 4:56 PM +0200 7/20/05, Klas Strandberg wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>I have now bought two NT1A and will sacrifice one of them. Let it be
>outside for a week or so, only protected from direct rain.
>I am also going to take it apart and see if it is possible to redesign it
>into something smaller and light-weight and possibly put in a parabol, too=
.

>You will get a report in two, three weeks.
>
>Klas.

If anyone can do it you can. I tried slimming it down and I found,
curiously, that when I removed the heavy base (which some on the mic
list could  be just was to make the mic feel solid) I got RF I
couldn't shield with lighter metal subsitutes.Hopefully you can.  The
NT2_A  also has ta even heavier metal shroud around its xlr
connector. I was able to cut the capsule right at the point where it
joins the posts and rotate in 90 dgrees to make it front firing. It
fits back into the same grille. I like cuz it makes mounting easier.
You might want to run a test with them both at max gain and listen to
make sure their self noise is fairly consistent on both mics before
the swedish humidty test? Have fun! Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department