Re: Re: Long-eared Owl

Subject: Re: Re: Long-eared Owl
From: Magnus Robb <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:14:28 +0200
Hi Rich,

Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding. For what it's worth, the
best time to find families of Long-eared Owls is when the young have
left the nest. They have very loud penetrating calls which can be
heard from a surprisingly long way off if you know what to look for.
In Holland at least, the best time is June. Let me know if you ever
need to know what this sounds like.

Because of the relative ease with which they can be located (at least
if LeO is a regular bird in the area), a family is perhaps the
easiest sound of this species to record. A roost, more of a winter
phenomenon, was what I was really asking about. It would be much
harder to record if they call then as little as I think they do.

cheers,

Magnus

Magnus Robb
Baarsjesweg 237/III