more questions than answers...

Subject: more questions than answers...
From: David Shepherd <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:25:37 +0200 (CEST)
Dear all

Firstly I want to thank the regulars who post to the group for the wealth o=
f information you have provided.  And secondly sorry to be asking yet more =
questions!

Unfortunately I am not much closer to making an informed decision about wha=
t would suit me best for nature recording.

In the city I've been using Soundman binaural mics.  I have had good result=
s with these however I have noticed throughout all of my source recordings =
that they are slightly right heavy.  (Whilst I have haven't had my ears tes=
ted I know I damaged them when I was younger) I believe that when I am reco=
rding I am tilting my head slightly to the right to compensate???=20

Am I wrong about this or is this a possibilty?

I have read through the archive of messages and as one list member said it =
comes down to personal taste - but I don't really have a starting point fro=
m which to proceed. I have about a thousand Euros for a recorder and a micr=
ophone.

I am planning a trip next year to the Artic Circle in Canada and therefore =
want something that is easily portable and easy to set up (quickly).

So I am thinking to move away from in-ear microphones (especially for Natur=
e recording) and as a member has suggested purchase two ME-66's (380 Euros =
for the two) or possibly a MKE 44-P stereo mic (546.00 Euros) (In Austria)

I would ideally like something that could give clear recordings at long dis=
tances as well as close recordings (single source)

I am also looking to upgrade from my Sony Minidisc.  Again much information=
 is available on this subject.  Should I stick with a minidisc or look for =
a hard disc recorder?

Any help would be much appreciated I have plenty of time so will continue r=
esearching but if someone can point me in the right direction that would be=
 great.

All the best David

=09=09