Re: RE:Bats catching a dime

Subject: Re: RE:Bats catching a dime
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:25:27 -0000
I think its all in the toss. You gotta get the flip right on those
dimes to sucker the bat. I have not found any bat roosts up here like
you have down there so I have to settle with just single bat fly bys.

The main exercise for me with the dimes is to get the bat to fly
around my Cube Mic to check the surround image.  I was confused for
some time by echos that were louder than the primary signals.  It has
become my conclusion based on listening that the bat has a fairly
narrow projection of its voice and when its voice hits my garage
(about 30 feet away) the sound is spred out so that the mic picks up a
larger echo than the primary voice and over a wider degree area. I am
sure someone has worked with determination of the directional
character of a bat voice but it is new fun for me. I can not prove any
of this without video capability of course.

I still have much work to do before I can conclude how many degrees I
can get resolution of from this Cube Mic.  It appears that the math
that leads one to believe distance to the source is a problem in
resolving accurate direction of stereo or quad images from a
microphone may not be important. I suspect this is not a problem when
everything is beyond "near field" or "far field" aka "faint field"
where I am doing all my recording.

Rich

--- In  Greg Clark <> wrote:
> Rich,
>
> The bats in Arizona must be dumber than the bats in Minnesota. If
you throw
> a dime at a bat here they start for it, then turn away. I have
thrown up
> rocks and bugs for bats since I was a little kid as I was fascinated
that
> they could tell the difference. Bugs they catch, rocks they ignore.
Maybe