Reintroduction

Subject: Reintroduction
From: "Randolph S. Little" <>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 20:56:51 -0400
NatureRecordists:

Two years ago I unsubscribed in anticipation of resubscribing when I
returned from a trip and had caught up on other correspondence.  That
never happened, so at the urging of Lang Elliott during a New Jersey
recording foray earlier this year I vowed to resubscribe after returning
from my annual Sierra stint volunteering for Cornell's Natural Sound
Recording Workshop.  Tada!

To recap, my mentors as a child in Ithaca NY were Drs. Arthur A. Allen
and Peter Paul Kellogg.  It is from the former that I learned to appreciate
and study birds, and from the latter that I became focused on bird sounds
and bird sound recording.  I served as Dr. Kellogg's assistant during my
undergraduate years at Cornell, where I studied electrical engineering
(and led a lab section in the undergraduate ornithology class).  During
those summers and spring recesses I led recording expeditions across
the US and Canada gathering material for the Peterson guides to bird
songs.  During the other seasons I archived contributions to the Library
of Natural Sounds, built and maintained equipment, and mastered several
phonograph productions with Dr. Kellogg.  Upon graduation I joined
Bell Labs (at Dr. Kellogg's suggestion to gain industrial experience) and
embarked on what became a career with Bell Labs and AT&T, using
vacation time to continue recording North American bird sounds.  A 1984
expedition to the north end of Baffin Island to obtain the first NA recordings
of Common Ringed Plover for the late W. W. H. Gunn was perhaps the
epitome of such vacation pursuits.  In 1987 I began co-teaching the Lab of
Ornithology's Natural Sound Recording Workshop, and that has become
my vacation service ever since, though I have since retired from AT&T.
C'est moi vie.

Will probably lurk while getting up to speed on current threads, but glad
to be back.

Good recording,
                              Randy
-----
Randolph S. Little <>
111 Berkeley Circle, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920-2009
Phone: (908)221-9173  Fax: (908)630-0871