Re: Elk Country Sounds

Subject: Re: Elk Country Sounds
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:28:42 -0700
Deirdre Howell  you wrote to Questionbird:

>I work at the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation in
>Missoula, Montana.  Hopefully your organization
>is familiar with ours.

Others may be, but I'm not. I've visited the
Bitterroot Valley many times, two of my sons were
raised in Corvallis.

>If so, you may have heard we are moving into a
>new building this summer.  We are going to have
>quite the impressive visitor center that will
>fill the minds of all who come through.

Sounds great!

>One of our displays will deal with the sounds of
>Elk Country.  It will be an interactive display
>to educate people in understanding things that
>influence elk on a daily basis.  We haven't had
>too much luck finding some particular sounds, I
>am hoping your organization can help.
>I am going to include a list of those sounds
>that we need as soon as possible.  We would so
>very much appreciate any help and/or advice you
>could give us regarding obtaining these sounds.
>I thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you soon.

I'm copying this reply to the Nature Recordists
mailing list and to the California Library of
Natural Sounds. Several people on the list have
extensive libraries of sounds, and they can
contact you directly about terms for providing
them.

>Here is our list J
>
>Elk Country
>
>Preferred
>Wind in aspen stand
>Bear walking in woods
>Beaver tail slapping on water
>Herd of elk running away
>
>Alternative
>Red or pine squirrel chirring
>Crow calling
>Deer snorting out its nose in alarm
>Chickadee calling
>Junco doing the "telephone ringing"call
>Turkey gobbling
>Horse and rider moving through timber
>
>Intrusive noises
>Preferred
>Human walking in leaves or pine needles, including breaking a stick
>ATV running in distance
>Rifle shot
>Highway noise at =89 or =88 mile in still forest
>
>Alternative
>Truck door slamming
>Bulldozer in distance
>Rock being kicked free and tumbling down hill
>
>Deirdre Howell
>Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
>(406) 523-4515
>(800) 225-5355 Ext. 515