Re: Sony MZ-B100, Accessible-yes, but at What Sacrifice?

Subject: Re: Sony MZ-B100, Accessible-yes, but at What Sacrifice?
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:17:11 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Jerry,

> I'm considering purchasing a Sony MZ-B100 minidisc recorder.  It's the
> most user-friendly on the market for people who are blind.  It has lots
> of nice features, but I've been told that its microphone input is
> suitable for business meeting recording, but not for the frequency range
> needed for nature recordings. If that's true, then I'd need to use a

Re: microphone in, I believe you are conflating the onboard microphone(s),
and the microphone INPUT -- the former are probably voice-recorder
quality, as our the playback speakers; but the INPUT should be comparable
to any other consumer MD deck I would think.

The only issue that I suspect will be a pain to work with with this deck
is its predeliction (like other Sonys) to want to always record with the
automatic gain control (AGC) engaged -- if it works like other Sonys,
you'll have to specifically set it to "fixed gain" every time you
record... sigh.

Fwiw Ben Adair from the NPR show Pacific Drift was using them for some
kind of field recording 101 workshop, I pointed them out to him as having
large controls when he asked my opinion -- I'm 99% sure he went with him.
Write me off-list if you want his contact info.

 best,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org

  |  quod omne animal post   |