Re: Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 as field recorder

Subject: Re: Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 as field recorder
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 03:21:52 -0000
"yodrez"  wrote:
> Is there a reason that an MP3 player
> wouldn't be perfect for recording
> in the field? I have a 40GB Nomad Jukebox 3

High bit-rate MP3 is perfectly suitable for many projects. High bit
rate MP3 is similar in quality to the ATRAC SP compression used in
minidisc machines.

With a 40GB disc to store your recordings, however, compression isn't
necessary.  Your Nomad Jukebox 3 gives you the choice to record in
16/48 WAV file format as well as MP3.  Give WAV recording a try to see
if you can hear an improvement compared to MP3.

Most MP3 players have line and/or USB inputs only.  The Jukebox 3 is
popular among concert tapers because it has mic inputs as well as
SPDIF digital optical input.  The Jukebox 3 also has space for a
second battery, extending recording time significantly.

The majority of MP3 players, including the Jukebox 3, use a small hard
disc as the recording medium.  I think Compactflash or Minidisc will
be more reliable in a machine that will be whacked against tree trunks
as you make your way through the bushes.  Don't let this discourage
you from using your Jukebox 3 in the field.  Just be aware that it's
relatively fragile.

> (sound quality is a nominal 98dB SNR...

I think that's the published specification for playback. Unfortunately
it doesn't tell us anything about the signal to noise ratio of the mic
input.

> What is the idea behind using a pre-amp in the field?

The Jukebox 3's mic preamps, like those in all other consumer-grade
portable recorders, are pretty noisy when you turn the record levels
up. (No $300 device does everything well!)  Many field recording
subjects are quiet, or far away.  So you'll want to add gain to make
the recording audible.  If you add an external preamp of higher
quality, you can increase the record level and still get a clean
recording.

The trade-off is that an external pre-amp adds cost, adds weight, and
adds complexity to the recording process.  Most field recordists
prefer a one-box solution when on the move.  To compensate for the
noisy pre-amp, get closer to your subject, and consider using a
parabolic reflector to increase mic gain without adding noise.

The Jukebox 3 has a lot going for it as a field recorder, as long as
you're careful handling it.  It's too bad that its manufacturer,
Creative, has chosen to discontinue the Jukebox 3 in favor of smaller,
less capable machines.  You can still find Jukebox 3 models for sale
on eBay.

Please post your experiences using your Jukebox 3 for field recording.

--oryoki