Re: Middleton vicinity frog chorus ID?

Subject: Re: Middleton vicinity frog chorus ID?
From: Xavier Eekhout <>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:33:11 +0200 (CEST)
Just for the fun of it I checked in our data base here
at our library of animal sounds (www.FonoZoo.com)in
the National Science Museum  in Madrid and they sure
sound like the Pacific Chorus Frogs recordings we got
in our collection. Being in the other side of the
Atlantic Ocean means I'm really no expert on
northamerican herpetofauna, but that's the great thing
of having animal sound libraries, right?

By the way, congratulations for your web site. The
Fonozoo director (Dr. Rafael Marquez) is a big fan of
yours, and so are we, the rest of the people here.

Cheers

--- Aaron Ximm <> wrote:
---------------------------------
So,

this weekend I recorded a frog chorus at Harbin
Hotsprings, near Middleton
and near Calistoga here in northern california...

Someone suggested these might be "Pacific Chorus
Frogs" but I thought I'd
defer to the wisdom of the group...?  Fwiw I gently
looked through the
grass where I was as I swear it sounded as if one of
the little fellows
could have hopped a half foot into my lap! But alas I
could spot no one!

MP3s at:

http://www.quietamerican.org/download/dropbox/Harbin/

The two "frog" files are the same recording -- one (as
labeled) I took a
30 second stab at "cleaing up" to remove the gray
noise of a stream a few
hundred feet away and some mic hiss...  a bit of a
hack job, the broadband
noise just becomes a distractingly notched hiss until
the calls come in to
distract you... :)

The original recording with Sonic Studios DSM-6S/EH
mics, the Sonic
Studios "mini-pre," and a venerable MZ-R37 MD deck.

Btw the other two files in that directory are of a
pool drain I recorded
a few hours earlier that evening, with my DSM mics as
above, and a few
minutes later with my new toy, the Aquarian H2
hydrophone with the 1/8"
stereo termination and made to mate to "plug-in power"
mic inputs as on my
MD... the nearby generator can be heard in both... :/

 best,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org

  |  quod omne animal post   |