Re: Digest Number 1686

Subject: Re: Digest Number 1686
From: "Meena Madhav Haribal" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 07:06:51 -0500 (EST)

>       5. Location needed
>            From: "Martyn Stewart" <>

Hello Martyn,
I dont know what you want to record particularly. But from Orlando about
30 miles away (30 mintues) there is part of Ocala National Forest trail
system. Near Ocala, I used to camp in Lake Delancy camp area for my
studies. It used to be very quiet and very dark skies at night too. Great
place for observing stars, we had best views of Hyaukutek comet and its
tail. This is wonderful place for recodring both Bachman's sparrow,
Red-cockaded woodpeckers, Florida Scrub Jays, Sandhill cranes,
Whip-poor-wills, Chuck-wills widows and so many other species. There is a
big lake for other critters. While I was wokring Bachman's used to sing
next to me!
But dont try anything on week-ends after spring, it gets taken over by
ATVers and they believe that making maximum noise is greatest fun in the
world, but during week days especially from Monday to Thursday it used to
be one of the best places. Also occasionally (this happened to me only
twice), some guys decide riding airboat on lake Dealncy is great fun and
so they start at dusk and go on till 10.00 PM. That was annnoying. This
all was about 5 years ago. Unfortunately. I did not do any recording when
I went their for my studies.
But if things have not changed then it is just a great place, I think it
was better than Everglades or Loxhatchee. But of course everything depends
on what you are looking for!
Good luck.
Meena

 Message: 5