Re: MKH-110 powering

Subject: Re: MKH-110 powering
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 03:05:09 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:

> Walt

Just a couple heads up comments that is more than most want to read:

Be sure to watch not just loud tones when using pairs but but also very
quiet ones.  They can occur anywhere and I watch them all the way to
40,000 cycles.

The current draw varies a lot from mic to mic so each time you change
mics adjust your trim pot. This and wanting headroom above a single 9
volt battery is why I went to full voltage regulation.

The coils are the second most valuable part of the mic.  There is
really few ways they can fail other than having to apply wax for core
traction.  Do your best not to screw with the leads from them as these
are not available for replacement and if they were it would still be a
nightmare.

Before you call a capsule as failed, check the case to frame screw
mounts for a good connection as they are different metals and that
union does fail by corrosion.

Don't worry so much about the scope when checking these mics.  It will
drive you nuts.  Watch the current draw on the power supply lead.

To bad you do not wish to sell your doa's but I fully understand.

Rich