H2-XLR hydrophone

Subject: H2-XLR hydrophone
From: David Martin <>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:39:20 -0500
I recently bought an Aquarian Audio H2-XLR hydrophone and found a problem
that I don't understand.

The H2-XLR requires phantom power. When I supplied the 48V power from my
Marantz PMD670, the noise level was so high the hydrophone was absolutely
unusable, and I thought I'd have to send it back.   However, when I
supplied 48V power with a Sennheiser MZA14 the noise level was amazingly
reduced.   Does anyone have any idea why this should happen?   I have had
no trouble powering MKH20s, an MKH30 or MKH60 from the PMD670.

Because the local ponds have been frozen up until now (no frogs calling
around here) I tried the hydrophone in a fast moving stream nearby.  Along=

each shore was a 4-foot wide ice shelf undercut by the rushing water. The
open water was roughly 10 ft wide. The hydrophone was in a relatively calm=

area about 10 feet upstream from a small drop in the stream bed. Water
depth was less than 1.5 ft.  The following is a sample of the
recording.  There is some obvious low frequency buffeting due to the fast
flowing water, some pops that I suppose are due to the mic being struck by=

small bits of solids carried along by the stream, and also some musical
plinks that may be related to the ice melting.  The recording was made with=

the PMD670 using the MZA14.  Not too bad given the less than ideal
conditions.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze78my5/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/vlyc=
reekduringthaw01a.mp3

Still I am puzzled by the phantom power/noise problem with the PMD670.

David Martin