Re: Nature recording 101

Subject: Re: Nature recording 101
From: "John Hartog" <>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 05:55:26 -0000
-recently, Ken  Durling wrote:
> Exactly what I'm doing.  I was going to check out the fake fur
selection at
> a local esoteric fabric store today.  I'm curious what commonly
available
> materials you home-brewers use for the underlying hard skin.=20
re made from some kind of perforated
> metal or plastic, although I've yet to handle one.  Would window
screening
> work?=20=20

Here's a bit more about what I use or have tried.

I have tried a few different fake furs.
The first was about three fourths an inch deep, and it worked
well at first, but when it got a little wet it became matted and it
never recovered.  When I bought it, I notice it would flatten down
somewhat when brushed with my hand. I learned next time to
look for a fur that would spring back when compressed.

My second attempt was fur one inch deep with good spring to it.
This is still my favorite. It seams fairly densely packed, yet when
held up and viewed from the backside, I can see light through it.=20
I notice that the hairs flex equally well in all directions when I
blow on it from different directions.

The third fur I tried had variable length hairs from one to three
inches deep:  I had seen a picture of a zeppelin on the web, I
think a Rycote, with fur resembling this.  This one didn't work out
very well: the hairs have no spring to them, and the shorter hairs
are not dense enough to buffer much wind.

I also use stretchy fabric (if it is Lycra or Spandex I'm not sure).
The best stuff I found is very thin, but with a tight weave and
plenty of stretch in all directions.

I like using layers:  if the weather is calm then stretchy fabric only,
and I add fur If it is breezy.

For support, currently I use metal mesh kitchen strainers or tea
infusers for smaller microphones.  For my NT1-As which are
large and horribly wind sensitive, I am using inner windscreens
made from metal mesh pencil cans covered with stretch fabric
and an outer layer of stretch fabric and polar fleece supported by
hoops of spring steel from a car window sunshade. This system
could still use some refinements.
-John Hartog