Re: Blackbox needed.

Subject: Re: Blackbox needed.
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:13:30 -0800
>I am looking for an inexpensive battery operated headphone amplifier
>that takes a stereo microphone input. I may need multiple units for an
>installation I am planning. Smaller is better. Quality is something of
>an issue but I do not need super performance. DIY solutions would be ok
>if I had more time. For now, though,  I need an off-the-shelf solution.
>Any suggestions?

I don't know about inexpensive, but the Sound Devices MixPre does
that with phantom power and a very good headphone amplifier. List
$855, I can give you a discount.

A cheaper way would be to use an MD recorder hidden backstage. Less
than $100 for "parts" machines that have disc recording problems.
There might be a problem with their automatic idle-time shutdown,
maybe that doesn't happen with external power.

A search for "personal amplifier" at radioshack.com found amps with
built-in mics for $25 (#33-1096) and a toy with stereo mics for $10.

-Dan Dugan