Re: Nature recording 101

Subject: Re: Nature recording 101
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:07:49 +0100
Again:

You have to use omnis, folks, there is no other good way to avoid wind
noise. I have said this so many times before, but it doesn't seem to get
through.

Saying this, I realize of course that there are situations when you don't
want to use omnis, because they don't give the sound quality that you want.
But then you have to know your directional's (MS, whatever) very well and
have the proper windshields, like a "zeppelin" with a synthetic fur around =
it.

Rob, when you say that "it zeroed the meters" I get a suspicion that the
mic output was so high that the input amp reached the top of it's
performance and not only recorded the wind, but also added a lot of
distortion. Then you need a -20 db attenuator.

Klas.

At 10:11 2005-02-23, you wrote:

>At 10:03 PM -0800 2/22/05, Ken  Durling wrote:
> >OK, I'm back from my first attempt at this.    There's one question that
> >clearly needs to be cleared up first before moving onto more refined
> >things:  what's the best way to deal with wind noise?   I may be able to
> >shelf EQ some of it out of these recordings, but how do you folks deal w=
ith
> >it?  Are the mics you use more resistant to it?  Granted I only had simp=
le
> >foam screens over mine, but they had little or no effect,  although I
> >didn't try it without them.    It wasn't all that windy even, but when
> >there was anything more than a faint waft it zeroed the meters. Clearly =
> >need more sensitive mics for distance work,  but wind noise might be eve=
> >more of a problem then?  About the only thing I can think of right now i=
> >to have the mics sheltered somehow, which could interfere with their
> >pattern...
> >
> >You all are way beyond this I know, so if there's a FAQ somewhere feel f=
ree
> >to give me steer.
> >
> >Ken
>
>There should be an FAQ-- designs are numerous. There used to be some
>very instructive DIY photos on a site by a videographer (Mulford
>Media). They're no longer there. I took the liberty of putting a .zip
>of his photo folder here:
>
>http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/MulfordShckMntZep.zip
>--
>Rob Danielson