Re: Re-forming the Telinga Dish

Subject: Re: Re-forming the Telinga Dish
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:36:37 -0500
From: Doug Von Gausig <>

> Central Arizona has had more floods in the last three months than in the=

> last 6 years! The latest one raised our river by 23 feet. Luckily we've
> been through enough of these to learn not to build where it floods (well,=

> not everyone has learned that lesson, but most have). We've had 4.5 inche=
> (114 mm) of rain so far this year, last year at this time we had .48"
> (12mm). We normally get about 10" (254mm) per year.
>
> The great thing (to keep this about recording) is that these early rains=

> mean that the flowers and plants will have a very good spring, meaning a=

> very good brood success for our birds, so there will be more to record. F=
or
> the wildflower enthusiasts, Arizona in about another 3 weeks will be
> carpeted top to bottom with incredible desert flowers.

What will it mean in about 8 weeks when I'll be coming through your
town? Mid to late April. Hopefully not back to seedheads and dust. I'll
have my shiny new Maxxum 7D, which I got to replace my venerable RD-175
digital. A new camera always renews your thirst for photography and this
is no exception. I'm, of course, well equipped for macro work. Also long
tele.

Got any good suggestions for the frogs from that area? Same time. I'm
going to be going across New Mexico and Arizona about Mid up the states,
entering California at Needles. Then swinging N via secondary stuff to
Death Valley and onward. I'm particularly interested in recording
different frogs, but don't limit myself to that.

It calls or can be photographed I'm interested. Even just enjoyed is good.

On the dish, I've found that props that force it past where you want it
a bit helps to speed things. I don't roll mine very often.