Re: FS: MP-2 and Apogee Mic Pres

Subject: Re: FS: MP-2 and Apogee Mic Pres
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:35:38 -0500
From: "Brian Dasilva" <>

> Does the Mini-Me have the USB interface?
> Why do people run the V2 and MP2 in front of the Mini-me? Are the mic
> preamps not good? Seems redundant.

I don't know about that specific combo, but I do use the MP2 ahead of
the Portadisc some of the time.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the preamps exactly. Or in a
sense it does. Each preamp has a range of setting that it does the best
job, no matter how high quality. Usually that's mid range. If you push
the gain above that you lower the quality some. By running the MP2 and
Portadisc in tandem I can set both to the ideal range and get a gain
that's if anything better than either can do at full gain. With higher
quality sound.

The MP2 also provides me the ability to check the stereo from the M/S
setups in headphones without tampering with recording it undecoded.

The MP2 is a excellent pre, and will provide better sound for a great
many recorders. One would not necessarily say all those are not good in
the preamp, but more that it's possible to do better.