Re:Freezing CDs

Subject: Re:Freezing CDs
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:25:04 -0000
--- In   wrote:
> I would reiterate the caution not to freeze CDs. The flippant topic
title
> that started this thread may lead some to think that would be a good
idea.
> Besides, do you really know if that light in the freezer goes out
when you close the
> door?

I post at times to generate thought and maybe a few times just to
entertain but never to be flip.
Yes, of course the light goes out.

The freezer is the most secure location in the average home.
Packaging needs to be thought out to protect against a melt down and
fragil objects need to be kept on top.

My background is insurance claims adjusting.
I have seen things protected in freezers for years.
Even as a house burns down often the contents of a freezer are intact.
Burglers tend to leave freezers alone and they survive well in
tornados too.  I saw one in November that was hit by a tornado and was
sucked open and filled with attic insulation and then closed itself
again.  The contents did the best in the storm.
see:
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/DCP_3310.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/DCP_3301.JPG

I have kept 35mm film negatives in my freezer for over 20 years.
Maybe someone can find an archive link that further documents the
advantages of freezer storage for protection of most any time
sensitive media from humitdity, light, chemical reaction, and casualty.

This will be the first time that I use it for CD's but I will do as
for my film.  Pack in boxes, plastic wrap, and place on the top shelf.

Rich