Re: [phonography] Minimics from Microphone Madness for field recording?

Subject: Re: [phonography] Minimics from Microphone Madness for field recording?
From: Jeremiah Moore <>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 01:35:51 -0800
My experiments so far with the Shure 183s have been overall quite
positive:  very high output, relatively low noise floor (id put the
S/N ratio in the very good to excellent category).

The one serious problem I've had so far is with extreme low
frequencies causing them to bottom out (the classic example being a
car drive by where the muffler is resonating at near-subsonic
frequency).  I suspect the problem is actually insufficent powering
supplied by my mz-r37 minidisc leading to reduced headroom.  Want to
test w/ 9-volt p-i-p adapter but don't have one.

Curious if anyone else has experience with such.

I'm still in a getting-to-know them phase, so I'm not giving them a
firm recommendation, but they're good and definitely worth checking
out.

-jeremiah

>  > Has anyone tried these mics from Microphone Madness:
>>
>>  http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmhlsomsenmi.htm
>>  http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmhigsencars.htm
>
>I have a pair of the latter (cardioids) mounted on their goosnecks, I got
>the tripod to go with them, and a pair of minicat rycote fur windshields
>for them to boot.
>
>IMO they're OK; I'm quite used to the stunning ease of putting on DSM mics
>on my head and just running. Setting the goosenecks to get a good stereo
>image with the cardioids take a little more effort and of course is pretty
>much a stationary activity. In theory you could carry them around but it'd
>be awkward I think.
>
>I was not blown away by them in terms of clarity and character, but I read
>recently somewhere that this series of capsules wants a considerably
>beefier power supply for "plug in power" than my little MD portables
>provide; I've been meaning to experiment with a 9V-driven PIP module to
>see if they are discernibly better that way...
>
>Can't speak to the mini-omnis, but if you haven't been following the
>discussion the Shure WL183s (about the same size as the cardioids from MM)
>have been the new kid on the block lately.
>
>Hopefully some local list members will be getting together to do shoot out
>the WL183s, DPA 4060-based Core Sound HEBs, my Sonic Studios with and
>without pre-, my Soundman OKMs, etc... :)
>
>  best
>   aaron
>

>   http://www.quietamerican.org
>
>   |  quod omne animal post   |
>   |  cogitum est triste...   |
>

>Yahoo! Groups Links

jeremiah lyman moore | sound+media | san francisco |
http://babyjane.com/timeweb/
http://northstation.net/  downtempo acid jazz project