Re: Sony TCD-D8 DAT recorder

Subject: Re: Sony TCD-D8 DAT recorder
From: "Adam Liberman" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:23:19 -0000
Jaideep,

We service the TCD-D8 all the time, and accept units from all over the
world for repair. There is also no problem for us to get parts to
service it. If you are interested, please go to our website at
www.libermansound.com and fill out a repair order for an estimate, and
tell us exactly what error messages you are getting and what it is doing.

The TCD-D8 has no tape load motor -- it has a mode motor that controls
its functions, and the capstan motor which actually is what drives the
tape loading mechanism. It would be difficult to damage either motor
from a fall, and since there is no tape load motor, I am skeptical
that you have received a correct diagnosis.

One thing you can quickly check yourself is the slant-guides (the
roller posts that slide back and forth in the tracks on either side of
the head). They should be in about the same position on both sides of
the head drum, and just wiggle slightly. If one of them is loose and
slides back and forth freely, then it has become detatched and just
needs to be reattached to the slider. This is a fairly common problem.

Thanks,
Adam Liberman
Liberman Sound

--- In  Jaideep Asokan