Re: Greetings - new member from Oz

Subject: Re: Greetings - new member from Oz
From: "graham" <>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:30:26 -0000
--- In  Michael Gallagher
<> wrote:

G'day Michael
Thanks for the welcome!  :-)

> Welcome to the exciting world of nature recording Graham. You have
> joined the right group - there is a lot to be learned from
> following the discussions of this group.

yes. I've just read recent posts on PMD 660

> Acceptable recordings can be made with basic equipment. It is an
> excellent idea to start with birds in your garden. Record them
>often.

Mr BB has been 'songing " away for motnhs and I have been recordig
him at work!

> Get to know your subjects and get your recorder close to your
>subjects.

I know him quite well but when  he's up a gum tree....

> Be aware, from the outset, that all recording equiment has its
> limitations. Know there is a law of diminishing returns in audio
> recording: the cost of equipment rises exponentially, the closer
>you  wish to approach the best possible results.

Im already with Vicki Powy's inestimable help getting up to speed.
Have technical/electronics backgroud just joining the dots.

> I  only use the camera as a recorder when my recording equipment is
> not at  hand.

Agree im surpised my sonograms come out as well as they do I using
the latest version of Syrinx. Bang for buck [$0-00] it'shard to beat!

Can we discuss other things of interest off list?  Thanks!

email: ranft at ranft dot id dot au

Im in Canberra

be happy be well