Northern Hawk Owl

Subject: Northern Hawk Owl
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 09:04:26 -0500
Hi friends:

Happy New Year!  I am just returning after botanizing parts of Cape Cod for
the three-day weekend, collecting twigs for bud and leaf-scar photos, so
please forgive the delay in addressing this subject.  For the owners of
EnjoyBirds all this may already be known.

In 1996, I violated my "don't chase" rule and drove two hours up to
northwestern Vermont, where, per emailed descriptions, I immediately found
the owl around 2 PM EST.  I got out of my car and put the bins on this
first one I'd ever seen, and several times it flew parallel to the back
road, from perch to perch, often calling.  The bird certainly seemed to
notice my activities, but was about as active (and as shy) as a typical
Kestrel, I would say.  It certainly is a "day-flying" owl!

So I opened my back door and took out my emergency rig, as described in the
disc WAV file RIFF "Subject" chunk, below.  I pointed the mic at the bird,
turned it on and got three fairly good calls - each about 0.5 seconds of
ululation (is this why it is called Surnia ulula?), and about a half hour
later I was smugly driving home.  The subject certainly got an A+ for
cooperation - I never even had to leave the roadway.

 From SURULU.WAV on EnjoyBirds disc:
"Surnia ulula, adult, sex unknown, lone individual on West Street, 0.7 mi
south of  VT Route 125,  Middlebury, VT.   November 24, 1996, recorded with
Sennheiser ME-66 with windscreen & bass roll-off set;  on Sony Cassette
recorder TCS0580V, with mic input going separately to both stereo inputs."

Good luck with your owl recvording!

--  best regards,  Marty Michener
MIST Software Assoc. Inc.,  P. O. Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049
http://www.enjoybirds.com/

Don't blame me, I vote in New Hampshire!