Re: Questions - Spaced Omni Pairs

Subject: Re: Questions - Spaced Omni Pairs
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:36:28 -0500
If you want binaural, then try a Jecklin disc kind of setup, rather than
spaced omnis. Keep your mikes about 6.5-7 inches apart, simulating the ear
spacing of the human head. This will yield a fairly decent binaural
recording.

http://www.josephson.com/tn5.html

As I mentioned the other day, I dragged a pair of Crown GLM-100s out of
long-term storage and am getting reacquainted with them. These are
really impressive mics. To my ear, they seem to perform best in free
space (with respect to boundaries) and with no barrier of any kind
between them. Would anyone here disagree with those findings or have
any additional comments regarding boundaries/barriers and omni mics of
this type (similar, I'm guessing, to the Sure 183s)?

As to spacing, I reported my first impression that there was a nice
"sweet spot" at approximately 26 inches. But now I feel that that
spacing presents an unnaturally wide image (I like it, but it seems
unnatural to me). With the particular pair I have, 8.5 inches seems to
be yielding the best compromise between width, "naturalness" and mono
compatibility. Anyone here willing to share their own experiences with
spaced omni pairs? In particular, I'm wondering if the size of the
sound source makes a big difference (for example, indoor point source
vs. "all outdoors"). My goal here is a relatively simple
stereo/binaural array with these mics that will deliver nice results in
most field recording conditions.

Thank you in advance,

Curt Olson

"Microphones are not ears,