Re: HiMD update/AES impressions

Subject: Re: HiMD update/AES impressions
From: "Greg Weddig" <>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 04:46:05 -0000
It was probably me who said that Dan, they said that they (HHB) were
in Japan recently exploring their options with HiMD but it sounded to
me like they were going to focus on something else.  We will have to
wait and see.  It's probably important that several people asked them
about it.

I thought the DPA windscreen is a great space saver and I too did the
blow through test.  I'm going to wait until there are some in the
field for a real world test.  I have some reservations about long term
durability of the fabric rubbing against thin metal bands.  The rep I
spoke with said it was tested hundreds of times.

The Recording in the Wild seminar on Thursday moderated by Bernie was
well attended and got the word out about what we do.  Lots of great
information, stories etc.  Great, intelligent questions from the
audience too.  Thanks Bernie!

I went to the Holophone demonstration in one of the private rooms.
They demonstrated the mic with many loud sound sources but not many
quiet ones.  Their new array uses DPA 4061 capsules which are good
capsules but not necessarily quiet enough for nature recording (I have
two of these).  I am also concerned with the de-correlation needed
when playing back a binaural recording over loudspeakers.  The capsule
in the middle (center) of the array for LFE is intriguing.  I have a
demo DVD from the presentation that I have yet to listen to.  I think
the list price was around $6k.

Mark covered all of my observations about the Edirol and Core Sound
recorders.

Sabra-Som had some interesting surround mic mounts (www.sabrasom.com.br)

SPL has a little surround monitoring control box.

Grace Designs is providing an upgrade to the Lunatec V3 for an optical
output (toslink).  They replace to word clock connector.

Schoeps had their in zepplin surround mount, see the Schoeps website
for details.

--greg