Re: Re: [nature_sounds_society] Volunteers needed for Frog Relocation No

Subject: Re: Re: [nature_sounds_society] Volunteers needed for Frog Relocation Nov 13-15 in San Francisc
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:35:01 -0500
From: Dan Dugan <>

> Do they sing this time of year? If so I can record tonight or the
> 12th, it's right around the corner from me.
>
> -Dan

I would expect they would not be making breeding calls. But Pacific
Treefrogs do call from time to time from the trees. Which, btw, is most
of where those volunteers have to look outside of breeding season. This
is not a sit in the pond frog. At least they do these calls during the
day, breeding calls are pretty much nighttime. I'd not expect to find
them in the water.

I don't envy them, as well as having to comb not just the ground, but
the trees, these are a tiny chorus frog that hides easily. Not really a
true treefrog. To give a example, last time I visited my folks there was
one that would call from time to time in a climbing vine on their front
porch. I spent the entire time I was there, a couple weeks, trying to
find him with no luck. And I know how to find frogs. Even standing right
there when he called did not help much.

Another time in the Cascades I was on a creek/swamp with them making
their location calls. In four hours I found one. Though it would have
been fairly easy to record them. There were several dozen calling here
and there. From near ground level to more than 50' up the trees.

Hopefully there will be someone there who knows their calls. Most
recordings you find are of the breeding calls, which are different. This
will sound more squirrel like.

I better not hear anyone say there were none there because the
volunteers don't catch any. Such a search does nothing to determine
population.