Re: Digest Number 1522

Subject: Re: Digest Number 1522
From: Will Mitchell <>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:06:48 -0700
I have both the Rode NT4 and the SONY ECM-MS957 in my mic collection.
The NT4 is much quieter (less self noise) and is better suited for
recording quiet soundscapes.   The MS957 can pick up a wider sound
field  with its MS capsule configuration than the NT4 can with it's
permanent XY pattern.

I've had some good success using these two microphones together to
record in 4 channel surround...the MS957 looking forward and the NT4 to
the rear.

a few observations on the NT4:
- this mic is fairly sensitive to handling noise, so be sure to use it
with a shock mount when in the field.
- the foam windscreen that comes with the mic is pretty much useless
when recording outdoors.  I use a much larger foam windscreen ( one
that fits a Neumannn U87 normally).  This windscreen covers the
capsules nicely and leaves some air around them.
- the NT4 comes with both a stereo mini plug cable and an XLR stereo
cable...this is nice and gives the user some flexibility when
connecting the mic.
- poke around on line and you can get the NT4 for around $350.

the Shure VP-88 which was mentioned earlier in this thread is higher
priced microphone that these two and is much larger in size, but has a
number of pattern switching functions that give the user more options.

hope this helps,
Will