Re: Recommendations on Video Camcorder for videoing and recording birds

Subject: Re: Recommendations on Video Camcorder for videoing and recording birds
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:10:55 -0000
Gregory Kunkel wrote:
> The TRV-340 is a digital 8 camera and not considered a Mini DVD. The
> minis record on media "other than tape",

There are three different recorders. All record digitally.
-- mini-dv, recording to a small cassette tape, 80 minutes
-- digital-8, recording to a larger cassette tape, 120 minutes
-- mini-DVD, recording to a 3 inch DVD disc, 30 minutes high quality

The small DVD disc can be played back directly in many DVD players,
and can be read directly by many computers.  The drawbacks of this
player are short record time per DVD disc, susceptability to errors
when recording (don't move much while recording), easy contamination
of the recording mechanism in dusty conditions, and relatively lower
video quality compared to the tape models.

Sony and Hitachi DVD camcorder models have only 10x lenses, so they
are not the best choice for birding.  Panasonic offers a model with
18x, so it would a better choice.  I still like the tape models better.

--oryoki