configuration advice

Subject: configuration advice
From: "geelgors" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:37:46 -0000
Hello,

After spending many hours on the web it looks like I'm finally going
to settle for this configuration:

- Telinga pro6, DATmic Stereo, powerbox for mic and a dish
- Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
- Sony MZ-NH 900

This is to the limit of my budget. I would greatly appreciate your
thoughts on this configuration. Will there be enough voltage to power
the Beyer headphone? Main usage will be bird recordings, mostly
migration.

>From my old broken sony mz-r55 I still have 2 batteries left: sony
rechargeable NH-14WM 1400mAh Ni-MH. Can I use these in the MZ-NH 900?

with kind regards and thank you in advance,

Maarten Pieter Lantsheer, The Netherlands

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:27:34 2005
Message: 2
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:06:05 -0000
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Subject: Re: hiMD to PC (wav)

"geelgors"  wrote:

> Could this be a solution to problems to transfer
> hi-md files to pc...

It appears that the maximum size of the *.wav file
created in this manner is 10.3MB.  That's only one
minute of stereo recorded at 16/44.1.
I'd wait for Sony's announced "WAV converter," due
before the end of 2004.  It performs a similar
operation, but without time limit.

In general, I'm unhappy with this approach. The Hi-MD
records in WAV format, but only Sony's SonicStage
software can move the file from minidisc to computer.
SonicStage stores the file in a proprietary format
that compresses the WAV file.  The WAV converter
will simply convert from SonicStage back to WAV.

It would be so much simpler, and possibly more
accurate, if we could just copy the WAV file from
minidisc in the first place.  The compactflash and
hard disc recorders from Marantz, Fostex, HHB,
Sound Devices, Zaxcom and others let you copy
WAV files direct to computer.  We may have to
wait until a company like HHB produces a pro version
of Hi-MD recorder before its WAV recording format
is useful.

It's worth noting that there are several manufacturers
of consumer hard-disc recorders (Creative, iRiver, etc)
that record to WAV from line-in and optical-in, and then
copy to computer in WAV form without issue.  Sony is
just driving customers into the arms of its competitors.

--oryoki

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:27:35 2005
Message: 3
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:54:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Matthew Cole <>
Subject: mic selection for a NWet  washington novice

I have been trying to figure out what kind of a mic
set up to start with.  I would like to be able to get
some stereo /spatial effect.  I am primarily
interested in recording soundscapes.  I live in NW
washington, it rains alot here, and I understand from
Bernie Krause's book that the sony 55b's perform in
humid environments.  The root of my question is how
does one get the two mics joined into a binaural
system.  Further, am I off track on thinking that this
system would be best for my needs?  I think I might
value clarity and crispness of the recording as much
as spatial cues.  Is there another mic system/single
out there that would perform well in damp wet places
and give high quality sound in this price range
(300-500USD)??

http://shopping.yahoo.com/backtoschool