Re: battery charging/HHB battery holder

Subject: Re: battery charging/HHB battery holder
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:58:48 -0700 (PDT)
> Are there suitably efficient and fast solar chargers available? If
> so, can anybody recommend models? What about chargers that could
> plug into the cigarette lighter of a 4WD? Any recommendations on
> these?

My roommate's gotten good gear from, and recommends,

 http://www.mrsolar.com

I looked into recharging with them recently, I wanted to keep my Canon
digital powered over 10 days w/o mains, and it seemed that some of their
systems were more than capable in this regard.

They offer packaged systems but I was looking at buying a solar panel
(which puts out DC, and has a receptacle compatabile with car cigarette
lighters) and an inverter (to convert DC into US standard 110V AC) for
maximum flexibility.

Having two pieces like this sounds like a good solution for you as the
inverter could also be used directly in a cigarette lighter in a car; my
roommate uses one to power her laptop off such to mix/edit in the van
while on tour!

A third part you could consider would be a battery to store solar charge
for later use -- at least one of the package solutions from Mr. Solar
include this...

Incidentally I have had good results with the new Rayovac/RadioShack
(licensee) 15-minute AA recharging system -- it comes with 2000mAh
batteries I believe. You would want to check the current draw it requires
though to make sure a solar/battery source could power such a thing!!!

 best,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org