Reasonably price microphones under $150

Subject: Reasonably price microphones under $150
From: "mahuja" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:45:13 -0000
Hi,

My first mail, so bear with me as this might already be covered.
Feel free to point me towards any source if it has been heavily
discussed.

I did try looking up old posts and searched for mic, but ended up
getting confused with all the new terminology in this place. I do
understand I need to read further and I intend to do so.

I am planning on going to big bend national park and would love to
capture night sounds.. Since I do photography and me and my friends
will be carrying lotsa of equipment there and a bunch of laptops, I
was thinking instead of spending more money in buying a MD recorder,
why not just record using the "mic in" of the laptop.

I do have a tripod and at nights I am not really going to be using it
for anything, So I could mount a parabolic dish on it. Either that or
I could use a shot gun type of mic and hand hold that.

The laptop will get charged from the vehicle as we travel and the
battery will be adequate for a few hours anyways.

I am thinking of limiting my budget to $150, although I can go higher
if need be. It might make more sense to try this out before I
seriously dent my pocket.

Waiting for suggestions..

Thanks in Advance..
Manish