SETI and "information theory"

Subject: SETI and "information theory"
From: "Jeffrey D. Daub" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:20:29 -0700
Greetings all,

    Just curious if there are any individuals specializing in animal
communication on our list-- that have worked or collaborated with SETI,
the organization that searches for signs of extra-terrestrial
communication patterns in space?

    I am helping an associate with qualitative research for an astronomy
telecourse, and during an interview with a subject matter expert with a
member of SETI, a number of different species were mentioned relative to
their "communication system complexity," "Ziff's law slope", and
"Shannon Entropy".

    Is anyone in the group by chance involved with SETI's collaborative
projects using human and animal communication patterns as a basis to
qualify extraterrestrial communication?

Jeff Daub
Chico, CA