Low-Z Mics vs. High-Z Mics ???

Subject: Low-Z Mics vs. High-Z Mics ???
From: "Dave J" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:19:50 -0000
I'm confused. I thought all XLR mics were low-Z,
but now I'm not sure. Is 1000 ohms low-Z or
high-Z ??? Thanks.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:27:45 2005
Message: 5
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:38:15 -0000
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Subject: Re: Minidisc Mic Input

Knowing that Adam has a lot more experience with a lot better
equipment than I do I made sure to do my homework before I posted
this.

For the high end recorders that Adam is use to, or for manufactured
products for universal use, I agree with his statements. But for
consumer minidisc use alone, I do not.

My tests I did today were conducted on a standard Sony Consumer
minidisc mz-r55 transfered to a computer by analog line out to a good
a/d converter and analyzed within Adobe Audition. The microphone was
a Sennheiser ME-62.

I favor a 1 uf tantalum on the line to cut subsonic noise and think
that 27uf is too high for consumer minidisc recorders. Recording one
channel straight in and the second through a 1 uf tantalum capacitor
showed no drop in gain above 90hz and less than 3 db above 35hz.  The
channel with the capacitor had less compression above 14,000 cycles.
Consumer minidisc recorders favor low frequency sound no matter how
low it is and therefore it is better to get rid of some non audible
subsonic rumble.

Next a 10,000 ohm 1/4 watt metal film resister was placed on one
channel and the other straight through. The capacitor was removed.
The drop in gain was 10 db below 10,000 cycles.  Above 10,000 cycles,
which in this test was very quiet, there was less of a drop due to
less atrac compression.
No additional noise could be detected anywhere on the channel with
the 10,000 ohm resister at any frequency.

So overall Adam is correct, but my prior post is preferred for
consumer minidisc use.

Rich

--- In  "Adam Liberman" <>