New Sony Hi-MD's - comments?

Subject: New Sony Hi-MD's - comments?
From: "smorytko" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:21:11 -0000
Anyone here tried or have comments regarding the Sony MZ-NH1 or MZ-
NH900? How good (bad) are they?

I've been reading here for months and waiting to buy something
thinking the new Sony units might be a good way to start out. I have
never done *any* recording and, if it matters, my high-pitched
hearing is lousy (I wear hearing aids when looking for birds). I'm
mostly interested in recording birds. Most of my time is spent in New
England but I travel a lot in NA and expect to hit the tropics soon
too. It's premature to say I'll carry the recording outfit with me
all the time but I'm never without my optics and I know it pays off
to be ready.

Some equipment I've been considering:

Recorder: Sony MZ-NH1 or MZ-NH900; rechargeable AAA of NH900 seems
attractive but NH1 has time-stamp.

Mic: Sennheiser K6 and ME-66 | 67 (67 should have better reach right?)
Do I need a pistol grip or similar? A Telinga Pro-6 stereo is what I
really want but I'm not sure I can justify it right now. Would a
Telinga work well with these recorders?

Cables: Recent posts here suggest that MD Mic Inputs need "tuning" -
would mine?

Headphones: I have a Sony MDR-V200. A bit large but comfortable.

Software: presumably Adobe Audition

Is a hi-quality sound card required for my Windows machine?

What else? Besides patience, good luck, more money, a sense of
humor, ...

All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My compliments to this board. I lurk here every day just to learn
more and you've all been very helpful. Funny sometimes too :)

Steve